Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New build thread for an Electric Smoker Controller
After having a few issues with my electric smokers' wiring and controls I started researching how I could bypass all the built in controls and devise a way to control the smokers temperature as well as monitor temperature of both the cabinet and the meat. I wanted to be able to control and monitor tempuratures, as well as get notifications of when food reaches the desired IT. After an extensive google search I came across the Heatermeter which with some minor tweaks would work but was going to cost way more than I really wanted to spend. While going through some of the forums I ran across NB's thread which got me here.

I was able to order all the major components for this project from Ali Express. Shipping takes a few weeks to a month but you can't beat the prices.

Here is the parts list:

1x 2PCS micro USB Interface power switch interface Bread Board 5V power supply module exploitation Board  
3x Type Thermocouple K 6 "(150mm) with Probe 90 Pointed & Tip for BBQ Smoker Bend
1x D1 mini - Mini NodeMcu 4M bytes Lua WIFI Internet of Things development board based ESP8266 by WeMos
1x 1pcs solid state relay SSR-25DA 25A 5-24VDC TO 24-380V AC SSR 25DA,6-20mA
1x New Pro Mini Atmega328 3.3V 8Mhz Replace ATmega128 For Arduino Compatible Nano ATMEGA328P-AU Module
1x MAX6675 K-type Thermocouple Temperature Sensor Temperature 0-800 Degrees Module

I already had a breadboard and jumper wires so it was just a matter of wiring everything up and following NB's instructions.

Here is a picture of the components wired up. I am just testing as of now so I'm only using 1 thermocouple module. 

[Image: 20170302_221252_zpsu1sz72k6.jpg]

And a screenshot of the interface on my phone:
[Image: Screenshot_2017-03-02-22-14-37-1_zpsjtbvndcr.png]

My plan is to mount the solid state relay to the smoker and use a 1/8" headphone style jack to connect it to the controller. All thermocouples will be able to be unplugged via surface mount mini connectors and the controller itself will be powered via a standard micro usb phone charger.

Now that everything works on the board the next challenge will be to mount everything in a box. I'll post more on that soon.

To be continued....
Does this project use MQTT? I saw that in one of the config screens...
(03-03-2017, 08:47 PM)jchiar Wrote: Does this project use MQTT? I saw that in one of the config screens...

yes,  it supports MQTT fully for temperature status,  set temperature and even alarms.

also supports thingspeak for same functions..

that way you don't need to access the esp8266 webserver at all....  even when away from home you can use the device without opening up your firewall at home!!!
Haven't been able to work on my project much as of lately. We are getting ready to try and sell our home so I have been super busy with that. I've also been fairly busy at work. I did get a perfboard and project box ready to go. This layout isn't set in stone but I'll have plenty of room. I'm planning on adding some surface mount mini k type thermocouple connectors in the side somewhere as well too.

[Image: 20170309_211333_zpsp4xkv4lr.jpg]

To be continued...
Looks good...  Which connectors are you planning on using?

They do sell those max6675 boards without screw posts pre soldered for attaching different headers..  are you going to remove the posts or attach new connections with wire.  If wires then you need to make sure you use proper ktype wire to extend....
I'm just going to use thermocouple wire from the maxx boards to Watlow surface mount mini k type connectors. I work with thermocouples all day so I have access to plenty of scrap. I should have ordered some different boards but these will work.

I got the components soldered today, tomorrow I start wiring things up. I should be able to have it finished this week. Most of the projects I do like this never leave the breadboard. I'm not to excited about all the soldering. It's gonna be ugly but as long as its functional I'll be OK with it.
It's Alive!!!!

Just finished all of the wiring except the wiring to the output of the SSR. My wiring/soldering is very messy but everything will be inside the box and hidden so I didn't spend much time on neatness. I powered it up and all 3 probes are reading accurately. Next week I plan on cutting the holes in the box for the surface mount thermocouple connections and micro usb power supply. I also need to drill a hole for the dc jack for the SSR output. 

This weekend I am planning on mounting the SSR inside the smoker and getting that wired up along with a dc cable that will plug into the control box.

[Image: 20170317_201831_zpsssui6iav.jpg][Image: 20170317_201856_zpsvnshioix.jpg]

What a fun and easy project! I can't wait to finally get to use it!

To be continued....
good stuff!

You're lucky.... It's still too cold here for me to start BBq season. Maybe in a couple more weeks I can get some cooks in with the latest software!!

keep us posted....
Didn't get anything done with the project this weekend due to a massive hangover that ruined most of my Sunday. LOL
I think I figured out how I'm going to mount the SSR i just need to make time to do it. Once that's done I'll at least be able to do some testing to make sure everything is going to work according to plan.
(03-18-2017, 03:22 AM)JeremyM Wrote: [Image: 20170317_201831_zpsssui6iav.jpg][Image: 20170317_201856_zpsvnshioix.jpg]

This is AWESOME work!!  Now I feel inspired to go buy some parts Big Grin