Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome to new forums and Project! Getting Started....Introduce Yourself!
HA! Wink fair enough!

I'm just your "standard" husband, father of two teenage kids and two dogs (border collie & shih-tzu)..... from Toronto....

When wife says "hey you want to do a bbq"....I'll smile from cheek-to-cheek knowing I'll be in my 'bbq-man-zone'..... no-one bothers daddy when's hes bbq'in!

I have a Visions Kamado at home (sitting next to a my gas-weber)....I also have a Char-broid Akorn Kamado Kooker at the cottage that is a super-value kamado!

I've used plenty of RF type bbq toys from Mavericks and such... Even had a temperature controller from Auburn that eventually broke-down. I was looking for a replacement and came up with the crazy idea of using the project as a DIY. I researched and started (almost finished) designing out entirely using a raspberry pi, but the PI was complicated (im not a linux guy) and it can corrupt the sdcard just for fun. And the power it draws it pretty beefy (and getting the wifi working etc...., although now with the new PI's the network is built-in).

the great esp8266 with arduino/c++ support was looking like a winner to make life easier. I was first thinking of making it an esp-only idea and it would work (using spi for thermocouples)...but the drivers/libraries aren't there yet to make it stable to run as a 'PID' and a Wifi Sever....but it got close for $3!!! So for now I wanted a PID that wasn't tied to any platform specific so I choose the atmega328 for now....although in future the stm32 looks like a better option if the atmega limits start kicking in.

that's chapter one!

your turn Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Welcome to new forums and Project! Getting Started....Introduce Yourself! - by NailBuster - 02-02-2017, 04:00 PM